Nadiad.com Home Page
Home > History of Nadiad

History of Nadiad city


About Nadiad


Introduction:  Located on 22 and 42 latitudes and 72 and 52 longitudes, this town is a well-known junction on the western Indian railway lines of Ahmedabad-Mumbai; Nadiad-Kapadvanj and Nadiad –Bhadran.

This town, located in the position of heart of the district of Kheda is the premiere town in terms of population, business, and area; and since ancient times, is known for the quality of its scholarly tradition.

The town has made important contributions in the field of freedom struggle, pioneering journalism, educational activities and jurisprudence.

Mahatma Gandhi had started his first ‘satyagraha’ movement upon his return from South Africa at nowhere else but in the district of Kheda and had resided in the alms-house of Nadiad.

Historical Background: It is said that this village of Nadiad was once known as Nandgram. During those days it was located at Pilvai Lake near the Bhairav temple.

Even today four or five water wells can be seen near Marida front, outside the Marida Gate, which supports this theory. During the time of the Musmil King of Gujarat, a water tank, water well and a grand residential house can be seen even today though in a very dilapidated condition.

These are located in the Salun bazaar in the masid lane.

The Daval Muslims of the town were favorites of the King and the grandeur of the residence proves this.

A part of the wall known as the Mogul Kot, a vav ( a step well, made in traditional Gujarati architectural form that is constructed underground) commissioned by Minal Devi; another vav constructed near the Amdavadi Darvaza  by a businessman of the town of Khambhat; zagadio pado, Malhar suburb-all these are the historical landmarks of Nadiad.

Area: Spread over 11 square miles. 12, 855 houses, 14,204 families: 33,268 men and 29,377 women. Total 62645. The population has undergone a dramatic rise during the last century, which can be seen from the table below.

Year

Population

1872

24,551

1881

28,304

1891

29,048

1901

31,435

1911

27,145

1921

31,939

1931

34,584

1941

46,510

1951

62,645


 Kalka Mata Lake


It can be seen from these statistics that the population has been increasing at the rate of 70 percent every decade. There was a famine in the year 1900 to 1902 as well as an occurrence of plague between 1902 to 1904, which is why the population had decreased by 4000 between the years 1901 to 1911.

Different areas of the town are known by different and colourful names. Most of them are based on the ‘caste groups’, which reside in the area. Some areas get their names from the name of the male leader of the group settled there.

Most of the areas have meaning in their names. Some areas have historical significance in their names: desai vago; kansara vaad; vania pol; khadayata pole; mochi vaad; rabari vaad; ravaria vaad; vaaghri vaad; dhed vaado etc suggest caste groups residing in the area.

Lakhavaad; Ratanjee Ni khadki; Shankarbada Ni pole; Bhula Thakar Ni pole etc were named after the main male member of the settlement. There are 7 what are called the ‘patis’ in the town.

These ‘patis’ suggest that the people living in these areas are ‘Patidars’ who are the main agricultural landlords of Kheda district. The government revenue department has based its revenue system on thiese. The following are the seven ‘patis’: alad pati.kakarkhad pati, chaklashi pati ‘ lakhavaad pati, hirjee pati ‘ ratanjee pati and killedari pati.

Construction and facilities:There are nine boundaries of the town. Most of these boundaries lead to a particular village of the district. All of these boundaries get their names from the village it leads to Amdavadi bhagol, marida bhagol, salun bhagol, chaklashi bhagol, dumral bhagol, Pij bhagol, Dabhan bhagol, Koliwadani bhagol and Bilodara bhagol.

(bhagol, meaning boundery) There used to be good quality sturdy gates at each of these ‘bhagols’ previously. Some of these nine gates still stand. Here and can be seen the fort wall of the town too. There are nine lakes for these nine ‘bhagols’

> Kund Lake (from the ‘kund’ of ‘Rangana’)

> Ser Lake (as it is near the ‘sarai’ (guest house) near the Amdavadi Lake)

> Kheta Lake (built by Kheta Patel in Samvat 1526) Kheta Patel had come to settle in Nadiad from Singlav in 1516. Interestingly, one male and female sparrow had burnt themselves while doing Gruhshanti (ritual for purifying the house before moving in to stay in), since this incident, no ‘gruhshanti’ is done in Kheta Patels descendants.

> Muleshvar Lake

> Undeval Lake

> Malav Lake

> Nana Kanneth Smashan Lake

There are wells scattered all over within the city and on the borders. These are:
Santram well, Popatio well, Kharo well, Vadvo well, Bhojuo well(not functional any longer), Kalio well, and Panchkui. With increasing usage of waterworks, these wells are used much less.


Kharo Well

page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »